Last week I attended a Town Hall Meeting for Hope, hosted by Dave Ramsey. To any of you who heard about it or attended….this may seem like old news. The truth is that it has taken me most of the week to absorb all of what Dave spoke about. There were 6000 web cast locations , and over a MILLION viewers, making this the largest web cast ever.
Dave is an economist, a realist and an optimist. His intellect and experience give his audience a sense of confidence in the accuracy of his message. He has studied capitalism and it’s cycles for many years. His philosophy is that Americans have gotten a little “fat and sassy” in the past few decades and many of us have gotten into some pretty questionable financial habits. Actually Dave doesn’t say questionable…..he says “stupid!” I say questionable because he is not very diplomatic and I am. 😉
Our location in Powell actually had technical difficulties so we did not get to see the end of the web cast. There is so much so say about this program that I could go on and on. Instead I will give you a few of Dave’s one-liners I particularly liked.
- When the tide goes out….you can tell who’s skinny dippin’
- Any turkey can fly in a tornado
- Failure is a good, it’s corrective, it’s cleansing and it will chase you to excellence
- The word “NO” will set you free
- We need to go back to personal responsibility
- This is the best time to buy a house in 30 years
- Fear breeds panic and panic breeds hysteria
I share many of the same opinions as Dave but I learned a great deal too. Even on the issues I was already aware of, he has such a unique way of articulating and expressing himself that I feel more confident in the hope of the future.