Sunny and negative 3 doesn’t have a ring to it like the Joe Nichols song does but it describes our current state of affairs. There are some real challenges that we face when the temperatures drop to the double digits below zero. However; I have learned that there really is a silver lining in every potentially “negative” situation. So….here are some life lessons that I have been reminded of during this cold spell.
- When there are travel advisories I must exercise extreme caution but if I don’t give in to the fear there is a tremendous sense of accomplishment when I get to my destination.
Every time I read the book…..the tortoise wins.
- When I bundle up and cover every piece of skin possible with only the whites of my eyes exposed to the elements I really can’t feel the temperature but I can still see where I am going.
- If I do have to be outside for any length of time I have to take frequent breaks to warm up before going back out in it. I can accomplish the task more efficiently by taking breaks than I can if I try to press on and end up doing myself more harm than good.
- If I take good care of my vehicle it will be there for me when I need it. Things like regular servicing and new tires can often feel like an unnecessary expense that can be put off. I never know when the cold spell is going to hit and if I wait my vehicle will not be “winter ready” when the time comes.
- Whining doesn’t actually help. Nuf said!
So I am going to embrace these next several days because I know I will never get them back. Hot chocolate, snugly pajamas, soup, cute sweaters and boots are a few of my favorite things and I plan to enjoy every minute of sunny and negative 3.